On Febuary 3, 2023, Sébastien Serpaud defended his thesis at LAAS-CNRS (Laboratoire d’Analyse et d’Architecture des Systèmes) in Toulouse. The INSA (Institut National des Sciences Appliquées) supervised Sebastien’s work alongside LAAS- CNRS and IRT Saint Exupéry. While working on his thesis, Sebastien has been part of the FELINE project at IRT Saint Exupéry.
ABOUT his THESIS
“Application of the near field emission measurement method to assist in the design and investigation of EMC non-conformities of electronic boards”
The thesis proposed some development to improve the near field measurement method. The objectives are defined around two axes.
– The reduction of measurement time: a rapid measurement methodology has been proposed and validated on several demonstrators. The method is based on the use of a sequential and adaptive spatial sampling algorithm (SSAS). The method allows reducing the measurement time by a factor of up to 10 while maintaining a measurement error below 1dB.
– The development of a method for measuring the performance of a decoupling network from near-field measurements. The proposed method allows estimating the effectiveness of each decoupling capacity of the supply network in reducing the switching noise. The method was validated on a batch of boards designed around an STM32H microcontroller. Each board has a specific decoupling network to evaluate capacitor technologies (standard MLCC, LLL, and NFM), routing, and stack up of layout.
- S. Serpaud, A. Boyer, S. Ben-Dhia and F. Coccetti, “Fast and Accurate Near-Field Measurement Method Using Sequential Spatial Adaptive Sampling (SSAS) Algorithm,” in IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 858-869, June 2021
- S. Serpaud, A. Boyer, S. B. Dhia and F. Coccetti, “Efficiency of Sequential Spatial Adaptive Sampling Algorithm to Accelerate Multifrequency Near-Field Scanning Measurement,” in IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 816-826, June 2022
- S. Serpaud, A. Boyer and S. B. Dhia, “Optimized Algorithm to Reduce the Near-Field Measurement Time on FPGA Device,” 2019 12th International Workshop on the Electromagnetic Compatibility of Integrated Circuits (EMC Compo), 2019, pp. 99-101
- S. Serpaud, A. Boyer and S. B. Dhia, “Sequential adaptive sampling algorithm to reduce the near-field measurement time,” 2019 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility – EMC EUROPE, 2019, pp. 680-685
- S. Serpaud, A. Boyer, S. B. Dhia, “Optimized Sequential Adaptive Sampling for fast near-field emission measurements”, APEMC, 2020
- S. Chetouani, S. Serpaud, A. Boyer and S. B. Dhia, “Fast and efficient approach to predict EMC immunity of complex equipment after a component change,” 2020 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility – EMC EUROPE, 2020, pp. 1-6
- S. Leman, S. Serpaud and P. Besnier, “EMC Results Analysis Using Statistical Comparison Criteria,” 2021 IEEE International Joint EMC/SI/PI and EMC Europe Symposium, 2021, pp. 946-951
- Chetouani, Saliha, et al. “Application Des Methodes De Mesures Indirectes De Parametres” S” En Vue De La Gestion De L’obsolescence Des Composants En Immunite Conduite.” 20e Colloque International et Exposition sur la Compatibilité Electromagnétique CEM2021, 2021
- S. Chetouani, A. Boyer, S. B. Dhia, S. Serpaud and A. Durier, “A Technique to Assess Conducted Immunity of an Electronic Equipment after an Obsolete Integrated Circuit Change,” 2021 13th International Workshop on the Electromagnetic Compatibility of Integrated Circuits (EMC Compo), 2022
ABOUT FELINE PROJECT
Evaluation of the reliability of an electronic board and the treatment of component obsolescence at the scale of an equipment by numerical simulation.
|Mme Sonia BEN-DHIA||Thesis director||Institut National des Sciences Appliquées de Toulouse|
|M. Alexandre Boyer||Thesis co-director||Institut National des Sciences Appliquées de Toulouse|
|M. Fabio Coccetti||Industrial co-director||HDR – IRT Saint-Exupéry|
|M. Jean-Luc Schanen||Reviewer||Université Grenoble Alpes|
|M. Dubois Tristan||Reviewer||IMS Bordeaux|
|Mme Jarrix Sylvie||Examiner||IES Montpellier|
|M. Fabien Ndagijimana||Examiner||Université Grenoble Alpes (UGA) – IUT1 Grenoble|